Monday, October 10, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BROCCOLI-CHEDDAR-CHICKEN


I cooked this recipe when we had friends over a couple of weekends ago.  You can find it here.  Christin is the host of Spicy Southern Kitchen.



Broccoli-Cheddar Chicken - Serves 4
(A Cracker Barrel Copycat)

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon paprika
6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted
1-1/2 cups crushed Ritz Crackers

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit, and lightly grease a casserole dish.

Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in prepared dish.

In a medium bowl mix together the milk, soup, paprika and cheddar cheese.

Pour half of the cheese mixture over the chicken.  Scatter broccoli pieces over the cheese mixture.

Top with the Ritz cracker crumbs and remaining cheese mixture.

Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.



In Christin's notes she mentioned that she layered a little of the cheese sauce on top of the cracker crumbs, as she liked how the crumbs blended into the sauce, which thickened and flavored it.  However, if you want a crunchier topping, you can mix the cracker crumbs with 1 to 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle on top.  This is how I did it as we like the crispier topping.



Our friends thought this was delicious and so did we.  Under the crispy crust is the moistest chicken and a very yummy cheese sauce.  I also sprinkled grated cheese on the top before putting in the oven, which made it even crispier.  For the non-broccoli lovers this is a great way to eat this healthy vegetable.  Gregg's motto is 'put enough cheese sauce on it....'.  A keeper and one we will make again.  Thanks Christin!

17 comments:

  1. This looks really scrumptious, Denise!!! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have never heard of Cheddar Cheese soup though - canned or otherwise. And love broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect dish for an Autumn or Winter evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks yummy, Denise. I might give this a go when Rosanne comes over from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is breakfast time now but my mouth is watering for this dish. yum. I would love this one. and it is pretty to look at to

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love cheese but hubby doesn't. So I could see drool over your dish. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious!

    Another version of "chicken-veggie-sauce" casserole.

    and we are coming into casserole weather!!!! :-)

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so delicious! I'm hooked on Panera Bread's Broccoli & Cheddar soup...yummy! I will definitely be making this chicken recipe. We also love Cracker Barrel, especially for breakfast. :)
    Happy week to you!
    Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a similar recipe for Broccoli-Chicken Casserole. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good! Though I have been to Cracker Barrel lots, I have never had this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good Denise. Hope you are all OK

    XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise, this looks like one even I could cook myself, but not for one of my birding trips. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chicken
    I love broccoli
    I love cheese

    What a great recipe idea.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recipe. I can definately try this. Am running out of idea on what to cook. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had a dish very much like this- possibly minus the crushed crackers. It was good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!