Thursday, October 12, 2017

BEES AND BUTTERFLIES


My first photo is from yesterday's post, without the quote.  The photo below shows the garden we found, next to the Wild Horse Museum-Store.  It isn't too far from the lighthouse in Corolla, just up the road.  


At first you think it might be very overgrown and uncared for.  It is at the end of the season.  However, if you look closer still, you realize it would be like coming across a meadow and perhaps this was their intention.  Look closer still and there were dozens of bees and butterflies very happy at its wild state.  




"With rake and seeds and sower,
And hoe and line and reed,
When the meadows shrill with "peeping"
And the old world wakes from sleeping,
Who wouldn't be a grower
That has any heart to feel?"

~Frederick Frye Rockwell~
"Invitation," Around the Year in the Garden, 1913"


Here are a few of those happy visitors.



"Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life.  And everyone deserves a little sunshine."

~Jeffrey Glassberg~











"The hum of bees is the voice of the garden."
~Elizabeth Lawrence~






"Butterflies, bees,
Our winged, happy friends.
Oh, to dance in the air
And float on the breeze."

~Terri Guillemets~


"What do you suppose?
A bee sat on my nose.
Then what do you think?
He gave me a wink
And said, "I beg your pardon,
I thought you were the garden."

~English Rhyme~




"The pedigree of honey does not concern the bee, a clover, anytime, to him, is aristocracy."

~Emily Dickinson~



"When I add a spoon of honey to my tea, I give thanks to a dozen bees for the work of their whole lives.  When my finger sweeps the final drop of sweetness from the jar, I know we've enjoyed the nectar from over a million flowers. This is what honey is: the souls of flowers, a food to please the gods.  Honeyeaters know that to have a joyful heart one must live life like the bees, sipping the sweet nectar from each moment as it blooms.  And Life, like the world of honey, has its enchantments and stings."

~Ingrid Goff-Maidoff~
 "The Honey Sutras"



"Every saint has a bee in his halo."
~Elbert Hubbard~






"I've watched you now a full half-hour;
Self-poised upon that yellow flower
And, little Butterfly!  
Indeed I know not if you sleep or feed,
How Motionless! - not frozen seas 
More motionless! and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls you forth again!



This plot of orchard-ground is ours;
My trees they are, my Sister's flowers;
Here rest your wings when they are weary;
Here lodge as in a sanctuary!
Come often to us, fear no wrong;
Sit near us on the bough!
We'll talk of sunshine and of song,
And summer days, when we were young;
Sweet childish days, that were as long
As twenty days are now.”

~William Wordsworth~
"To A Butterfly"







"I don't like formal gardens.  I like wild nature.  It's just the wilderness instinct in me I guess."

~Walt Disney~


40 comments:

  1. Yes! I love wildflower gardens more than cultivated flower beds!! Your photos of the butterflies are amazing!! I have never seen some of these poses. They seem to be standing up so straight and stretching their legs! They are all wonderful, brilliant shots! I like the quotes and poems, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, always happy you enjoy my posts :) Those butterflies gave quite a show.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful things. Butterflies, bees and blooms are all emphemeral magic.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What breathtaking photos, thanks for sharing it all. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blogoratti, and greetings to you too :)

      Delete
  4. you found butterfly and bee HEAVEN. wow, on all these gorgeous shots of them. i love a field full of flowers and that is what i thought this was. glad they have this for them. i love the old rustic look of the building also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good way to describe it. I felt real happy for them. Thank you Sandra :)

      Delete
  5. Hello, Denise! What a lovely post. Beautiful gardens and flowers. The pretty butterflies and bees are happy there. I loved the quotes and poems. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and quotes! We saw the museum, as we passed by it, on our walk through Old Corolla. We didn’t visit the museum or get close enough to even notice the garden. I like the perspective of your picture, of coming up on a meadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I have been enjoying your Corolla photos also :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous place and your photos are amazing, especially the closeups of those beautiful butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like posts with good comments and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An absolutely brilliant series, Denise! And I thoroughly enjoyed the quotations, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, always happy that you enjoy them :)

      Delete
  10. Amazing photos Denise, you captured the butterflies and bees so well, I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL pics. I love them all. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bees and butterflies need all the help we can give them. This place does wonders for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree William, having become more aware these past years, I will do my part.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful little garden, attracting so many pollinators! Love your photos. I love Corolla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, we were very fortunate to come across it.

      Delete
  14. Hi Denise,
    and a wow with the Butterflies, some real beauties, totally different species to ours so I have no idea as to what they are but wonderful images and lovely words to go with them, thank you for the post, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed them John. I should ID them but may I can later. Thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful photos, stunning butterflies and insects, and yes I love that garden. That is when the flowers attract so many insects. have a great remainder to the week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. "... and everyone deserves a little sunshine" - how often we forget about this.

    Beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have so few bees here in my neighborhood. But now and then, I do see a butterfly or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like it is the first time when I see either. I find them beautiful and so fascinating to watch.

      Delete
  18. I left a comment, I'm not sure if it came through!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I don’t see another for this post but I am now publishing one of yours from another. Sorry, a little late publishing as I have a bad cold that is slowing me down a bit.

      Delete
    2. i had a feeling it did not post....

      this post was especially close to my heart, i feel a real kinship with butterflies!! i raised many indoors this past summer, i'm not sure if you saw those entries.

      your captures are gorgeous...and they are "captures", it's not always easy!! the "wild" garden, i love it, we must take care of our bees and butterflies!!

      Delete
    3. I remember reading about your butterflies Debbie. I loved your posts.

      Delete
  19. Typical post of yours, beautiful and well prepared.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!